Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Generation Soundbite

The Cut-And-Paste Culture:

Is there an issue here? Or am I just an out of touch has-been, lamenting the passage of youth?

Perhaps I am afraid to see age creep up on me. But I think there is an issue, and one that has nothing to do with my own mortal insecurities. The real issue is resenting the choice to promote throw-away fashion over credible substance. It is, quite literally, a cut-and-paste culture, where the appearance of knowledge is packaged up into a product and distributed like fast-food. The knowledge-bites are never intended to stand up to serious reason. They are the result of a marketing strategy that peddles stick-on substance.

In the same way that we are bullied into a schizophrenic changing of our wardrobe, we now find the same pressure to forever 'update' our 'views' (Facebook statuses). Shockingly, this is all perfectly well 'justified' by nothing more substantial than these words, delivered from the corporate juggernaut's far-reaching mouthpiece: "Well how else will we keep people frantically buying our shit?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.